Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Firebow coming soon

It's been awhile since my last post. Since then I've spent more time than I'd like to admit playing video games. That's not all I've been doing though. I've also been working on making a firebow. That is the bow used in making a bow drill fire. The material I'm using is one arm of the bow I broke. You can read all about that tragedy here. The picture in that post actually shows the limb I'm using.

It is taking me a long time because I'm trying to make it real fancy-like. To give you an idea of the detail I'm putting into it, here is a picture of the tip. I was trying to make a wolf head, but it turned out to be a bear.


I've still got more work to do. I'm planning on woodburning a design into the limb. I'm thinking some kind of flame design would be appropriate, but I don't want it to look like a hotrod.



I'm also going to woodburn the bear head to put some shadows on it. Hopefully I don't mess it up. I'll show pictures of it when I'm done. It should be pretty sweet.

3 comments:

fooiemcgoo said...

i *just* love it.
that is so cool. keep us updated.

Sassmouth said...

Thanks, last night I woodburned a bear on the bow and stained the whole thing. I'll probably finish the whole thing tonight.

Ashlee Dyer said...

Great read, thanks for writing this