Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Glass Buttes 2

My brother and I drove back to Glass Buttes a couple weekends ago. This time we decided to drive around and map out the area so we knew where different varieties of obsidian were. We stopped at a campground and found this gigantic pile of debitage. 


When walking around one area I stumbled upon a small quarry with exposed rock. You can never tell how big a rock you have until you pull it out. We pulled a few nice size rocks out and then started excavating a huge one.


It turned out being the tip of an iceberg. We were a little bummed about not unearthing the entire thing.


Then my brother decided to spall it while it was in the ground and ended up with the biggest spalls I've ever seen.


We loaded my car up with over 400 pounds of rock and drove home. Now we have a room dedicated to storing our rocks. We plan to get some shelves to store it eventually.


Here are a few of the pieces I've been working on the past month. Only the small point at the bottom left and the knife have been pressure flaked (sharpened). I plan to work the rest into more refined products eventually. Most likely they will be spear points.


Here is a close up of the knife. The handle is made from Redheart wood.


I hafted the blade into the handle using pitch made from sap and charcoal. I then wrapped it with deer sinew dipped in deer hide glue.

2 comments:

anarkus said...

mad skills for so young
i've tried it and it can be very counter intuitive the way stone fractures

i've never seen such good work from one so young, awesome!

Sassmouth said...

Thanks a lot anarkus. I still have so much to learn!